Monday, January 12, 2009

WILLIAM KECKLER LOVES HELLO KITTY ART, ANDREW DEMCAK

fROM WILLIAM KECKLER'S "JOE'S BRAINARD'S PYJAMAS" BLOG

MONDAY, JANUARY 5, 2009

Michael Jackson Meets the Specter of Child Abuse(1994)


Oh, poor Michael- he'll never get it right. Media: Tempera, acrylic, housepaint and crayon on cardboard, 1994
Posted by Andrew Demcak, Poet at 11:55 AM 1 comments 
Labels: Andrew Demcak

Andrew Demcak's Dyke with Blue Neck (1992)


I was just enjoying Andrew Demcak's art gallery online again (see my blogroll).

His notes for the paintings are as hilarious as his textual interpolations within the paintings.

I kept bugging him about these on Goodreads, asking him why he stopped and he gave me his reasons, which are personal, and I understand and respect that. 

But I am still saddened.

Because this work is so fucking great.

He finally let out that John Kricfalusi bought two of his works when he was still exhibiting.

And I was like "I knew it!" One genius gobbling up another's fruits.

And the sensibility attraction for that animator would make sense, although I find these funnier than Ren & Stimpy.

And Andrew was on Hello Kitty so early and brutally lol.

But there are some other quite lovely works, like this Blue Dyke, which reminds me of some Russian art from the 1920s quite a bit. (I think I'm thinking one of the Burliuks, but possibly 
not David.)

And some great relationship-themed paintings which have iconic power.

Here's his hilarious note for this painting:

Unlike her cousin the blue-neck alligator lizard, this one doesn't lay her eggs in sandy banks. Media: Tempera, housepaint and crayon on cardboard, 1992. 
Posted by Andrew Demcak, Poet at 11:52 AM 0 comments 
Labels: Andrew Demcak

No comments: